Letters &


Hello Lorena, Hello Carl!

My family and I have been wanting to move to Mexico(the nayarit coast) for quite a while now.

I am a single mom of two kids, whose father has absolutely no with them, and I do not know his whereabouts either. My problemhas to do with obtaining entry for my children into Mexico(preferably legal) . I know I am supposed to have signed notarized permission from the children's father, but what do I do when that is impossible? Do I need thehelp of an immigration lawyer, or is moving to mexico out of the question? Also, is there a way to "go around" these rules if need be - by bus into Mexico via Nogales possibly? any answers you may have would be sooo helpful! Much thanks from Vancouver, WA. Angela yolanda & antonio

hello Angela,

Yes, the law is rather pesky, but to be fair, Mexico doesn't want to become a haven for parents who "kidnap" their own kids. So, don't try to sneak them in... they do check papers carefully, especially the children's.

We need an expert answer here, so I'll forward your question to a real one: Jennifer Rose, a highly qualified attorney and resident of Mexico, who generously helps us out on legal matters.

Please stand by!

By the way, we'll be sending out our first People's Guide to Mexico e-Letter soon, with links to updated articles on the People's Guide website, some new Copper Canyon information, thoughts on retiring in Mexico, suggestions for other Mexico websites worth visiting, and various tips and tidbits. If you'd like to add your name to the free subscription list, just send a message to us at this address:


It isn't necessary, but it helps to put "subscribe" in the subject line.

best, Carl

The People's Guide To Mexico "Wherever You Go... There You Are!" mexico@peoplesguide.com

The People's Guide Website http://www.peoplesguide.com


jennifer rose responds

Here is the general rule on crossing the border with children: If a minor child is not escorted by both parents, a notarized consent from the absent parent is required. A similar consent from both parents must accompany the child traveling alone or escorted by a nonparent. A U.S. court order authorizing the travel can substitute for an absent parent who refuses to consent or who cannot be located. If paternity has not been established, have the child's birth certificate available, showing that there is only one parent. If the child has a passport issued in the child's own name, then consents are not necessary.

Get a passport in the child's own name, and enter using that, having a certified copy of the child's birth certificate as well.

©1972-2000 by Carl Franz & Lorena Havens
Copper Canyon Live & Retire Table of ContentsBook Reviews Letters